ReFED Insights Engine Methodologies
The ReFED Insights Engine, including the Food Waste Monitor, Impact Calculator, Solutions Database, Food Waste Policy Tracker, and Capital Tracker, incorporates current data from a variety of sources including public and proprietary data sets, expert interviews, case studies, and industry research. The following methodology documents explain the procedures implemented to integrate, standardize, and validate all information to ensure that, separately and cohesively, all information aligns with outside experts and all generally accepted practices.
Food Waste Monitor Methodology
A centralized repository of information built with data from more than 50 public and proprietary datasets and providing granular estimates of how much food goes uneaten in the U.S., why it’s happening, and where it goes.
Solutions Database and Impact Methodology
A stakeholder-specific, comprehensive cost-benefit analysis of 40+ food waste reduction solutions based on impact goals, plus detailed fact sheets on each.
Capital Tracker Methodology
A dashboard to monitor the flow of capital into food waste innovation, allowing users to understand the landscape, identify key players, and plan out future funding strategies.
Food CategoryAll Food and Beverages*
- “Food Donation” has been added as a Destination
- “Biomaterial Processing is referred to as “Industrial Uses” in our model
- “Co/anaerobic digestion” is referred to as “Anaerobic digestion” in our model
- “Controlled Combustion” is referred to as “Incineration” in our model
- “Refuse/discards” is referred to as “Dumping” in our model
- Water, soft drinks, and alcoholic beverages are excluded from the scope of "All Food and Beverages"
Have Any Questions?
For any questions about the data, our methodologies, or technical feedback related to the functionality of the Insights Engine, please write to [email protected].